Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Change in Summer Plans

Since being diagnosed with cancer, I have developed what is considered a "rare" condition called CRPS, or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. Basically it's a nerve that's gone nuts. In my case, the nerve in my armpit feels a light touch, such as clothing, but it tells my brain that the armpit is on fire. It took 4 months to get this condition diagnosed (and I'm one of the lucky ones).

This condition has been very challenging to deal with. Last year, I could only wear silk. Anything else sent my pain scale up to 8 or 9. This year I have made some progress and graduated to sueded cotton. I have closets and drawers full of clothes that I can not wear. None of them. Not at all.

This summer my cousin is getting married in Oklahoma. My husband and I are planning to take a nice leisurely drive there along route 66. We're really looking forward to it. I have been thinking about what to wear to this wedding. Usually I can wear a knit skirt and top to church functions, but those are quite plain. I have two dresses that I bought for my brother's wedding 4 years ago. They still fit! But... they're not sueded cotton or silk. I've decided that I'm going to wear one of them anyway. I'l just have to wear a lidocaine pain patch to help with the pain.

I had a routine PET scan last week to check on the progress since my diagnosis, surgery and chemo in 2008. There's some new growth on my adrenal gland. I don't know what to do. My doctor is on vacation this week. Now my mind is racing through all of the various scenarios....

I may not have to worry about a dress this summer. I may have to worry about whether I will even have hair...

Rats!

2 comments:

  1. Can you wear something sleeveless for the wedding? I would think as long as you are comfortable everyone will be happy you are there no matter what outfit you have on.
    I hope you are able to quiet the chatter of your mind until your doctor returns from vacation and together you both can make a plan. I will keep you in my prayers....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernie,

    Thanks for the suggestion! I don't usually think about sleeveless. Usually I'm too cold for sleeveless, but ever since they took the ovaries, I've been running a lot hotter. And the wedding is in Oklahoma in the middle of the summer.

    I need to rethink shoes now too. Usually I wear socks and shoes, but now that I'm running hotter, I need some shoes that I can wear without socks. And I don;t want to wear "glorified flip-flops"!

    Ah the changes that you never knew cancer could cause...

    Anyway, I found a beautiful teal sleeveless dress that fits my out-of-shape shape. It really looks good!

    ReplyDelete