Friday, February 26, 2010

I'm Heather

Hi, all! My name is Heather, and I'm the mother of four gorgeous girls, ages 10, 8, 6 and almost 4. I'm married to my first husband, Clark, who has been a tremendous rock through this unthinkable trauma, in spite of his own ongoing grief and sorrow. He, too, has had to deal with the loss of hope for the future.

I was diagnosed in May of 2008 with stage IV breast cancer, mets to the bones. It was ER+/PR+, Her-2 +. I began a regimen of carboplatin, taxotere, herceptin and zometa, once weekly for three weeks, off one week, for about five months. I responded very well to treatment, and have been NED since my third PET/CT in October of 2008. I had a double mastectomy and oopherectomy in November 2008, opted against breast reconstruction, then did a full treatment of radiation therapy. In March of 2009, I was done with the "huge" treatments and continued the maintence of the AI, Femara, that I had started in January of 2009.

I am now approaching my 2nd anniversary of diagnosis, and just had a PET/CT on February 23rd, which confirmed my continued NED status.

I publish and edit a literary magazine for mothers that I cofounded in 2006 called get born: the uncensored voice of motherhood. I started the magazine because I struggled so much with loneliness, disillusionment and guilt as a mother that I didn't ever want another woman to go through similar circumstances alone.

I live in the gorgeous state of Colorado, in the United States, but traveled a lot as a young girl; my parents were conservative missionaries in Ecuador, South America when I was in high school, and I treasure that experience and the expansion of my world view with which it provided me.

I look forward to sharing on this forum; may our collaboration be a beacon of hope for too many of us who are learning to live in the tenuous space between life and death. Shalom.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome Aboard!!

    There is always hope for the future! As long as there are new drugs on the shelf, we have hope. We just have to live long enough for all those researchers to discover the cure!

    Are you NED in your bones??? That is amazing!! I was told that does not happen.

    ReplyDelete