Thursday, February 25, 2010

Meet Jennie

My cancerific journey began in fall of 2003 when I was diagnosed with Stage II, grade 3 (or grade 8 on the nine point scale), Invasive Ductal Carcinoma -- breast cancer.  I was 32.  My only child, Olivia was 2. After multiple surgeries, several rounds of the red-devil and cytoxan, I was given tamoxifen pills and pronounced NED (No Evidence of Disease). 

Less than two years later, I discovered another hard lump and joined the advanced cancer club, stage III recurrent IDC. So LOTS more rounds of chemo-freakin-therapy, surgery, weeks of radiation treatments and a couple of hot-zone free PET scans; I was again declared NED. 

Half a year later I called my doctor with back pain. Oh yes friends, the cancer was back with a vengeance. Scans revealed multiple tumors in my rib, femur, liver, lung, and in every vertebrae (as well as a collapsed T-12). Two days later I resumed both chemo-freakin-therapy and simultaneous radiation to my spine. Then surgery to put some glue/cement into my T-12.  I've been on one flavor of chemo or another since then and will continue for the rest of my life.

My daughter is now 8 and in second grade.  I have been raising her alone since her father left when I was five months pregnant.  No fight, no discussion, nothing; we had seen the baby on the ultrasound the week before and I came home from work - all of his things were gone.  There was some cash on the counter with the note, "for the phone bill." 

I live in beautiful Colorado.  I have four siblings.  My daughter and I have moved in with my parents.  Almost as much as my daughter and family; I love my work/all things learning, great food, red wines, European chocolates, reading, movies, traveling, and fancy shoes.

1 comment:

  1. You sum up all your hardships up with wit and humor!

    I look forward to hearing more of your story and getting to know you!

    Welcome aboard!!

    ReplyDelete