Thursday, December 31, 2009

Getting To Know- Jo

Hello, my name is Jolene (yes, after the songs) but I go by Jo usually and I am the almost 35 year old proud mama of three heathen kiddos. My oldest son is 18 1/2 and in college, my only girl is 15, and my youngest son is newly 7. My husband and I will have been together 10 years this coming May. Boy time goes fast!

As far as cancer goes, my oldest two children and I have a rare genetic disorder called MEN2a. Basically it causes a rare thyroid cancer (medullary), adrenal tumors/cancer called pheochromocytomas, and we're finding out a bunch of fun non-cancerous things as well.

I'm not able to get chemo or radiation for my cancer so all we can do is cut out things until we're just not able to anymore. It's a harsh reality but I always know it could be worse. I am considered incurable which is why I'm on this blog. Like RivkA and the others, I will be living with this until it either beats me (I refuse!) or they find a cure. My oldest son has also tested positive for the adrenal cancer so I will be posting about his new struggles as well. I look forward to getting to know everyone and helping others with MEN2a.

3 comments:

  1. Great to have you on board!

    I recommend checking out Jo's moving post, Finding Strength, to learn more about her and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you hun. I look forward to watching this blog grow and helping others.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, how are you and your children? Please write an update when you can.

    ReplyDelete